Department - Chemistry
Head of the Department
Dr.Koushik Dhara, Assistant Professor
|Date of joining :|| 15-07-2008|
M.Sc from Burdwan University in 2003.
Ph.D from IACS (Indian Association for the Cultivation of Sciences) in 2008.
Post Doc. (JSPS) from Osaka University, Japan in 2012.
|Specialisation in :||Inorganic Chemistry|
Research and Skills in Operating Instruments:
1. Expertise in X-ray Crystallography (especially in CCD diffractometer), data collection, structural solution and refinement.
2. HPLC, UV-Vis-NIR, Fluorescence Spectrophotometry.
3. NMR (400 MHz), Cyclic Voltammetry, GC instrument, ESI Mass instrument.
4. Design and synthesis of ligands and its characterization by 1H and 13C NMR spectroscopy.
5. Synthesis of the transition metal complexes and its structural characterization by single crystal X-ray diffraction study; Electron transfer reactivity study using UV/Vis spectrophotometer.
6. Isolation and separation of organic compounds by TLC, column chromatography and HPLC.
Current Research Interests:
1. Development of Fluorogenic Probe for HDAC activity.
2. Design and syntheses of Fluorescent sensor for cationic, anionic and neutral molecules.
3. Design, Synthesis and Functionalization of Mesoporous materials: Application towards the selective sensing and catalytic behaviors.
29) A new fluorescent probe for turn-on detection of pHusing 2,6-bis-[(1-H-benzoimidazol-2-ylmethylimino)-methyl]-4-methylphenol: imaging application in living cells, Uday Chand Saha, Sushil Kumar Mandal, Siddhartha Pal, Anisur Rahman Khuda-Bukhsh, Pabitra Chattopadhyay, Koushik Dhara,* Biochemistry & Molecular Biology Letters, 2015, 2, 65-73.
28) A new fluorogenic probe for the selective detection of carbon monoxide in aqueous medium based on Pd(0) mediated reaction, Siddhartha Pal, Manjira Mukherjee, Buddhadeb Sen, Sushil Kumar Mandal, Somenath Lohar, Pabitra Chattopadhyay and Koushik Dhara,* Chem. Commun., 2015, 51, 4410-4413. DOI: 10.1039/C5CC00902B
27) Effect of substituents on FRET in rhodamine based chemosensors selective for Hg2+ ions, Siddhartha Pal, Buddhadeb Sen, Manjira Mukherjee, Koushik Dhara, Ennio Zangrando, Sushil Kumar Mandal, Anisur Rahman Khuda-Bukhsh, and Pabitra Chattopadhyay,* Analyst, 2014, 139, 1628-1631. DOI: 10.1039/C3AN02011H
26) A water soluble FRET-based ratiometric chemosensor for Hg(II) and S2- applicable in living cell staining, Buddhadeb Sen, Manjira Mukherjee, Siddhartha Pal, Koushik Dhara, Sushil Kumar Mandal, Anisur Rahman Khuda-Bukhsh, and Pabitra Chattopadhyay,* RSC Adv., 2014, 4, 14919-14927. DOI: 10.1039/C3RA47800A
25) A fluorescent probe for detection of histone deacetylase activity based on aggregation-induced emission, Koushik Dhara, Yuichiro Hori, Reisuke Baba, and Kazuya Kikuchi,* Chem. Commun., 2012, 48, 11534-11536. DOI: 10.1039/C2CC36591J
24) A ratiometric fluorescent chemosensor for iron: discrimination of Fe2+ and Fe3+ and living cell application, Supriti Sen, Sandipan Sarkar, Basab Chattopadhyay, Anuradha Moirangthem, Anupam Basu, Koushik Dhara, and Pabitra Chattopadhyay,* Analyst, 2012, 137, 3335-3342. DOI: 10.1039/C2AN35258C
23) A new half-condensed Schiff base compound: highly selective and sensitive pH-responsive fluorescent sensor, Uday Chand Saha, Koushik Dhara,* Basab Chattopadhyay, Sushil Kumar Mandal, Swastik Mondal, Supriti Sen, Monika Mukherjee, Sander van Smaalen, and Pabitra Chattopadhyay,* Org. Lett., 2011, 13, 4510-4513. DOI: 10.1021/ol201652r
22) A highly selective fluorescent chemosensor for zinc ion and imaging application in living cells, Uday Chand Saha, Basab Chattopadhyay, Koushik Dhara,* Sushil Kumar Mandal, Sandipan Sarkar, Anisur Rahman Khuda-Bukhsh, Monika Mukherjee, Madeleine Helliwell, and Pabitra Chattopadhyay,* Inorg. Chem., 2011, 50, 1213-1219. DOI: 10.1021/ic1015252
21) A new functionalized mesoporous matrix supported Pd(II)-Schiff base complex: an efficient catalyst for the Suzuki-Miyaura coupling reaction, Koushik Dhara,* Krishanu Sarkar, Dipankar Srimani, Subrata Kumar Saha, Pabitra Chattopadhyay, and Asim Bhaumik,* Dalton Trans., 2010, 39, 6395-6402. DOI: 10.1039/C003142A
20) A new water-soluble copper(II) complex as a selective fluorescent sensor for azide ion, Koushik Dhara,* Uday Chand Saha, Abhijit Dan, Sandipan Sarkar, Mario Manassero, and Pabitra Chattopadhyay,* Chem. Commun., 2010, 46, 1754-1756. DOI: 10.1039/B919937C
19) Selective fluorescence zinc(II) ion sensing by functionalized mesoporous material covalently grafted with fluorescent chromophore: biological application, Krishanu Sarkar, Koushik Dhara, Mahasweta Nandi, Partha Roy, Asim Bhaumik,* and Pradyot Banerjee,* Adv. Funct. Mater., 2009, 19, 223-234. DOI: 10.1002/adfm.200800888
18) Synthesis, characterization and fluorescence properties of hexanuclear zinc(II) complexes, Partha Roy, Mario Manassero, Koushik Dhara, and Pradyot Banerjee,* Polyhedron, 2009, 28, 1133-1137. DOI:10.1016/j.poly.2009.01.042
17) Synthesis, characterization and selective fluorescent zinc(II) sensing property of three Schiff-base compounds, Partha Roy, Koushik Dhara, Mario Manassero, and Pradyot Banerjee,* Inorg. Chim. Acta, 2009, 362, 2927-2932. DOI:10.1016/j.ica.2009.01.023
16) Mild synthesis of a family of planar triazinium cations via proton-assisted cyclization of pyridyl containing azo compounds and studies on DNA intercalation, M. Sinan, M. Panda, A. Ghosh, Koushik. Dhara, P. E. Fanwick, D. J. Chattopadhya,y and S. Goswami,* J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2008, 130, 5185-5193. DOI: 10.1021/ja710211u
15) Nanowires of metal-organic complex by photocrystallization: a system to achieve addressable electrically bistable devices and memory elements, Arup K. Rath, Koushik Dhara, Pradyot Banerjee, and Amlan J. Pal,* Langmuir, 2008, 24, 5937-5941. DOI: 10.1021/la703871g
14) A highly enantioselective chiral Schiff–base fluorescent sensor for mandelic acid, Koushik Dhara, Krishanu Sarkar, Partha Roy, Mahasweta Nandi, Asim Bhaumik, and Pradyot Banerjee,* Tetrahedron, 2008, 64, 3153-3159. DOI:10.1016/j.tet.2008.01.099
13) Crystal engineering of zinc(II) metal–organic frameworks: role of steric bulk and angular disposition of coordinating sites of the ligands, Raju Mondal,* Manas Kumar Bhunia, and Koushik Dhara, CrystEngComm., 2008, 10, 1167-1174. DOI: 10.1039/B800908B
12) Di-, tetra- and polynuclear copper(II) complexes: active catalysts for oxidation of toluene and benzene, Partha Roy, Koushik Dhara, Mario Manassero, and Pradyot Banerjee,* Eur. J. Inorg. Chem., 2008, 4404-4412. DOI: 10.1002/ejic.200800556
11) A new organic compound for the synthesis of gold nanoparticles, Partha Roy, Koushik Dhara, Mario Manassero, and Pradyot Banerjee,* Polyhedron, 2008, 27, 3085-3090. DOI:10.1016/j.poly.2008.07.002
10) A copper(II) complex with rare μ1,1,1-azide ligand: Active catalyst for heterogeneous olefin epoxidation, Partha Roy, Koushik Dhara, Mario Manassero, and Pradyot Banerjee,* Inorg. Chem. Commun., 2008, 11, 265-269. DOI:10.1016/j.inoche.2007.12.011
9) Self-assembly of hydrogen-bonded networks of [Cu(HL)Cl](PF6) (HL = N,N’-bis(2-pyridylmethyl) -1,3-diaminopropan- 2-ol) into 1D chains: formation of new submicrometer [Cu(HL)Cl](PF6) rods, Koushik Dhara, Partha Roy, Mario Manassero, and Pradyot Banerjee,* Indian J. Chem., Section A, 2008, 47A, 18-24. IPC Code: Int. Cl.8 C07F1/08
8) Synthesis and crystal structure of an iron(II) dimeric complex, Partha Roy, Koushik Dhara, Jishnunil Chakraborty, Munirathinam Nethaji, and Pradyot Banerjee,* Indian J. Chem., Section A, 2007, 46A, 1947-1950. IPC Code: Int Cl.8 C07F15/02
7) Attenuated Leishmanial sphingolipid induces apoptosis in A375 human melanoma cell via both caspase-dependent and -independent pathways, Jagnyeswar Ratha, Kajal Nayan Majumdar, Koushik Dhara, Suman Kumar Singh, Krishna Das Saha, and Ranjan Bhadra,* Mol. Cell. Biochem., 2007, 304, 143-154. DOI 10.1007/s11010-007-9495-5
6) Supramolecular architecture in an oxovanadium(V)-Schiff base complex: synthesis, ab initio structure determination from x-ray powder diffraction, DNA binding and cleavage activity, Swastik Mondal, Monika Mukherjee,* Koushik Dhara, Soumen Ghosh, Jagnyeswar Ratha, Pradyot Banerjee, and Alok K. Mukherjee,* Cryst. Growth & Des., 2007, 7, 1716-1720.
5) Enhanced emission from single component organic core–shell nanoparticles, Koushik Dhara, Krishanu Sarkar, Partha Roy, Asim Bhaumik, and Pradyot Banerjee,* J. Nanosci. Nanotechnol., 2007, 7, 4311-4317. DOI: 10.1021/cg060753i
4) Synthesis, crystal structure, magnetic property and DNA cleavage activity of a new terephthalate-bridged tetranuclear copper(II) complex, Koushik Dhara, Partha Roy, Jagnyeswar Ratha, Mario Manassero, and Pradyot Banerjee,* Polyhedron, 2007, 26, 4509-4517. DOI:10.1016/j.poly.2007.06.009
3) Selective fluorescence zinc ion sensing and binding behavior of 4-methyl-2,6-bis(((phenylmethyl)imino) methyl)phenol: biological application, Partha Roy, Koushik Dhara, Mario Manassero, Jagnyeswar Ratha, and Pradyot Banerjee,* Inorg. Chem., 2007, 46, 6405-6412. DOI: 10.1021/ic700420w
2) Synthesis, crystal structure, magnetic property and oxidative DNA cleavage activity of an octanuclear copper(II) complex showing water–perchlorate helical network, Koushik Dhara, Jagnyeswar Ratha, Mario Manassero, Xin-Yi Wang, Song Gao, and Pradyot Banerjee,* J. Inorg. Biochem., 2007, 101, 95-103. DOI:10.1016/j.jinorgbio.2006.08.010
1) A two-dimensional coordination compound as a zinc ion selective luminescent probe for biological applications, Koushik Dhara, Santanu Karan, Jagnyeswar Ratha, Partha Roy, Goutam Chandra, Mario Manassero, Biswanath Mallik, and Pradyot Banerjee,* Chem. Asian J., 2007, 2, 1091-1100. DOI: 10.1002/asia.200700152
Honors and Awards:
1. DST-SERB Fast Track for Young Scientist, Govt. of India (2014).
2. Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), 2010.
3. Qualified National Eligibility Test (NET) [Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) for Lectureship and Fellowship] Govt. of India, 2003.
4. Qualified Graduate Aptitude test in Engineering (GATE) for Fellowship, 2003 (Percentile Score: 95.33).
5. Member of Editorial Board of ISRN Inorganic Chemistry.
6. Member of Editorial Board of Indian Journal of Material Science.
Ongoing/Completed Research Project :
1. Ongoing Project: DST-SERB FAST TRACK PROJECT (Sanction No. SB/FT/CS-142/2012,Sanction
amount INR 25,20,000.00, Duration: 3 years).
2. Ongoing Project: UGC Minor (Sanction No. PSW-026/14-15, Sanction amount INR 4,10,000.00 and
Duration: 2 years).
Dr. Samik Gupta, Assistant Professor
|Date of joining :|| 16-07-2015|
M.Sc from University of Calcutta in 1998.
Ph.D from University of Calcutta in 2010.
Awarded Post Doc (FCT-BPD Grant) at Instituto Superior Tecnico – TU, Lisbon in 2011.
|Specialisation in :|| Analytical Chemistry|
List of Publications:
1. S. Gupta, M. Kirillova, M. FátimaGuedes da Silva, A. Pombeiro, A. Kirillov, “Alkali Metal Directed Assembly of Heterometallic V/M (M = Na, K, Cs) Coordination Polymers: Structures, Topological Analysis, and Oxidation Catalytic Properties” Inorganic Chemistry, 52 (2013) 8601ISSN: 0020-1669.
2. S. Gupta, M. V. Kirillova, M. FátimaGuedes da Silva, A. J.L. Pombeiro “Highly efficient divanadium(V) pre-catalyst for mild oxidation of liquid and gaseous alkanes” Applied Catalysis A: General, 460–461, 2013, 82.ISSN: 0926860X
3. A. Jana, S. Konar, K. Das, S. Ray, J. Golen, A. Rheingold, M. Fallah El Sallah, S. Mukherjee, S. Gupta, A. Pombeiro, S. Kar. “A [2x2] Cu4 molecular grid and a Mn5 cluster derived from 1-(2-pyridyl)pyrazole based polytopic ligand - Synthesis, structure, magnetic properties and catalytic activity in the allylic oxidation of cyclohexene",; Polyhedron 62 (2013) 51.ISSN: 0277-5387
4. J. Lasri, S.Gupta, M. Fátima C. Guedes da Silva, A. J.L. Pombeiro “Copper (II)-mediated in-situ hydrolyses of pyrroline N-oxide and benzonitrile leading to a mixed ligand complex”
Inorganic Chemistry Communications18(2012) 69.ISSN: 0020-1693
5.Synthesis, structural, magnetic, DFT calculations and CShM studies of three new pentanuclearMn (II) clustersT.N.Mandal, S. Roy, S.Konar, A. Jana, K. Das, S. Ray, S. Gupta, R.Saha, M.S. El Fallah, J.Tercero, R.J. Butcher, S.Chatterjee, S.K.Kar, Dalton Trans. 41(2) (2012) 413.
6. A. Hazra, S. Gupta, S. Roy, T. N. Mandal, K. Das, S. Konar, A. Jana, S. Ray, R. J. Butcher and S. K. Kar, “Alkali metal ion mediated self-assembly of vanadium(V) ions and pyrazole based polydentate ligands leading to formation of helix, double helix and supramolecular cage like structures” Polyhedron 30 (2011) 187.ISSN: 0277-5387
7. T. N. Mandal, S. Roy, S. Gupta, K. Das, R. Saha, G. Mostafa, R. J. Butcher, C.-M. Liu, S. K. Kar, “A 1D Cu(II) coordination polymer exhibiting ferromagnetic interactions and a mononuclear Cu(II) complex of substituted pyrazole carboxylic acids: Synthesis, characterization and crystal structure” Polyhedron 30 (2011) 1571.ISSN: 0277-5387
8. T. N. Mandal, S. Roy, S. Gupta, B. K. Paul, R. J. Butcher, A. L. Rheingold, S. K. Kar , “Syntheses, characterization, X-ray crystal structures and emission properties of five oxovanadium(V) complexes with pyridyl/pyrimidyl–pyrazole derived ditopic ligands” Polyhedron 30 (2011) 1595.ISSN: 0277-5387.
9. S. Gupta, S. Roy, T. N. Mandal, K. Das, S. Ray, R. J. Butcher and S. K. Kar, “Synthesis, characterization and spectrochemical studies on a few binuclear μ-oxo Molybdenum(V) complexes of pyrimidine derived Schiff base ligands” Journal of Chemical Sciences’122 (2010) 239.ISSN: 0974-3626 .
10. K. Das, T. N. Mandal, S. Roy, S. Gupta, A. K. Barik, P. Mitra, A. L. Rheingold and S. K. Kar, "Syntheses, characterization, X-ray crystal structures and emission properties of Copper(II), Zinc(II) and Cadmium(II) complexes of pyridyl-pyrazole derived Schiff base ligand - metal selective ligand binding modes" Polyhedron 29 (2010) 2892.ISSN: 0277-5387
11.S. Gupta, S. Pal, A. K. Barik, S.Roy, A. Hazra, T. N. Mandal, R. J. Butcher and S. K. Kar, “Molybdenum(VI) complexes of a few pyrimidine derived ligands and the study of a metal mediated C=N bond cleavage resulting in ligand transformation during complex formation.” Polyhedron 28 (2009) 711.ISSN: 0277-5387
12. S. Gupta, B. K. Paul, A. K. Barik, T. N. Mandal, S. Roy, N. Guchhait, R. J. Butcher and S. K. Kar, “Modulation of fluorescence emission of 1-(2-pyridyl) pyrazole derived Schiff base ligands by exploiting their metal ion sensitive binding modes”, Polyhedron 28 (2009) 3577.ISSN: 0277-5387
13. S. Gupta, S. Pal, A. K. Barik, A. Hazra, S. Roy, T. N. Mandal, S-M Peng, G-H Lee, M. S. El Fallah, J. Tercero, S. K. Kar, “Synthesis, characterization and magnetostructural correlation studies on three binuclear copper complexes of pyrimidine derived Schiff base ligands” Polyhedron 27 (2008) 2519.ISSN: 0277-5387
14. S. Roy, T. N. Mandal, A. K. Barik, S. Gupta, R. J. Butcher, M. S. El Fallah, J. Tercero and S. K. Kar “Two anti-ferromagnetically coupled tetracopper (II) 2×2 homoleptic rectangular grids supported by both μ-O and μ-(N-N) bridges derived from a new pyrazole based polydentate Schiff base ligand – Syntheses, magnetic, EPR and DFT studies”, Dalton Trans.39 (2009) 8215.ISSN 1477-9226.
15. T. N. Mandal, S. Roy, A. K. Barik, S. Gupta, R. J. Butcher and S. K. Kar, “Unusual complexation of Cu(I) by pyrimidine/pyridine-pyrazole derived ligands exploiting the molecular function of 2-mercapto-4, 6-dimethylpyrimidine – Syntheses, crystal structures and electrochemistry”, Inorg. Chim.Acta.362 (2009) 1315. ISSN: 0020-1693
16. T. N. Mandal, S. Roy, A. K. Barik, S. Gupta, R. J. Butcher and S. K. Kar, “Synthesisand structural characterization of copper(II) and vanadium(V) complexes of pyridyl/pyrimidyl-pyrazole derived Schiff base ligands – Metal specific adjustment of ligand binding mode”, Polyhedron 27 (2008) 3267.ISSN: 0277-5387
17. S. Roy, T. N. Mandal, A. K. Barik, S. Gupta, R. J. Butcher, M. Nethaji, S. K. Kar, “Syntheses, characterization and X-ray crystal structures of Co(III) and Mn(II) complexes of pyrimidine derived Schiff base ligands”, Polyhedron 27 (2008) 593.ISSN: 0277-5387
18.S. Pal, A. K. Barik, S. Gupta, S. Roy, T. N. Mandal, A. Hazra, M. S. El Fallah, R.J.Butcher, S. M. Peng, G. H. Lee and S. K. Kar, “Anion dependent formation of linear trinuclear mixed valance cobalt (III/II/III) complexes and mononuclear cobalt(III) complexes of a pyrazole derived ligand – Synthesis, characterization and X-ray structures”, Polyhedron 27 (2008) 357.ISSN: 0277-5387
19.S. Roy, T. N. Mandal, A. K. Barik, S. Gupta, R. J. Butcher, M. S. El Fallah, J. Tercero and S. K. Kar, “A pyrazole based orthogonal ferromagnetically coupled [2×2] homoleptic square Cu4 grid: magnetostructural correlations”, Polyhedron 27 (2008) 105.ISSN: 0277-5387
20. S. Gupta, A. K. Barik, S. Pal, A.Hazra, S. Roy, R. J. Butcher, S.K. Kar “Oxomolybdenum(VI) and (IV) complexes of pyrazole derived ONO donor ligands – synthesis, crystal structure studies and spectroelectrochemical correlation” Polyhedron 26 (2007) 133.ISSN: 0277-5387
21.A. Hazra, A. K. Barik, S. Pal, S. Gupta, S. Roy, R. J. Butcher , S. M. Peng, G. H. Lee and S. K. Kar “Synthesis and structural studies on di-oxovanadium(V) complexes of N(4)-substituted pyrazole based thiosemicarbazones”, Polyhedron 26 (2007) 773.ISSN: 0277-5387
22.S. Roy, T. N. Mandal, A. K.Barik, S. Pal, S. Gupta, A. Hazra, R. J. Butcher, A. D. Hunter, M. Zeller, S.K.Kar “Metal complexes of pyrimidine derived ligands – Syntheses, characterization and X-ray crystal structures of Ni(II), Co(III) and Fe(III) complexes of Schiff base ligands derived from S-methyl/S-benzyl dithiocarbazate and 2-S-methylmercapto-6-methyl pyrimidine-4-carbaldehyde”, Polyhedron 26 (2007) 2603.ISSN: 0277-5387.
23.S. Pal, A. K. Barik, S. Gupta, A. Hazra, S. K. Kar, S.-M. Peng, G-H Lee, R.J.Butcher, M. S. El Fallah, and J. Ribas “Copper (II) Mediated Anion Dependent Formation of Schiff Base Complexes” Inorg. Chem.44 (2005) 3880.ISSN: 0020-1669.
1. Qualified the GATE-98 (February, 1998) conducted by Indian Institute of Technology.
2. Qualified for UGC-JRF in UGC-CSIR NET held on 19/12/1999
3. Qualified for UGC-JRF in UGC-CSIR NET held on 25/06/2000.
4. Worked as Project Assistant and JRF under Prof. P.K.Bharadwaj at IIT, Kanpur from March, 1999 to December 1999.
5.Worked under renowned Prof. Armando J.L. Pombeiro as Post Doctoral fellow.