The department started in the year 1963 and Honours Course was introduced in the year 1975. There are two permanent faculty members and two part time teachers in the department. Total students enrolled in the last year are 1701.
During the past two years the rate of success of students is significantly high (59%) and the rate of dropout is 9.14%. The students can use the available number of text and reference books in the library. They also get books from department library.
Plan of action of the department for the coming years –
1. To introduce PG course.
2. To construct a separate Departmental room with well-equipped ICT features to enrich the students’ knowledge and understanding of the subject.
3. Conducted study tours more frequently for better understanding of the subject.
4. To publish an edited volume social science journal with ISSN number.
5. To construct a Museum on Historical, Anthropological and Folk culture awareness among the students and local people of the area.
6. To arrange the UGC sponsored National Seminar on Water : The Changing Socio-Economic Scenario.